Wisdom Talks 19 – The Power of Trust (Saddha)
In this episode of Wisdom Talks John Barter reflects on a teaching of the Buddha called “The 5 Bala”- translated as The 5 Powers (or Strengths). In particular the first power or strength called Saddha – translated as Trust or Faith
In this Episode:
1. Understanding Saddha (Trust/Faith) – First of the 5 Bala (Powers/Strengths)
2. Reflecting on trust and confidence in:
a. The Buddha, Darmha and Sangha (Three Jewels)
b. Our senses
c. Our sense of self – qualities and perception of self.
d. Our relationships
e. Our mindfulness
f. Our virtues and intelligence
g. Our institutions or organisations
3. The difference between trust or wise faith and blind faith. Trust or faith that is skilful and based upon what you know and what you’ve learnt.
4. The following questions are answered:
- How do we work with our miss trust of people and organisations?
- Should we trust our intuition?
- How can we work out if we trust someone?
- Can a foundation of the Buddha’s teachings give us the skills to know what and who to trust?
- How do we work with people who are anxious or depressed or have unhelpful mental states, and are full of doubt and lack trust in themselves and others?
- How can you get someone else to trust you?
- Is their a relationship between trust and fear?