Wisdom Talks 8 – The 4 Foundations of Mindfulness
In this episode of Wisdom Talks John Barter reflects on the Buddha’s great teaching of the “The 4 Foundations of Mindfulness”- One way that leads to the ending of stress and suffering.
In This Episode:
- An appreciation and understanding of ‘The 4 Foundations of Mindfulness’
1. Mindfulness of the Body (Rupa)
2. Mindfulness of Feelings (Vedana)
3. Mindfulness of States / Quality of Mind (Citta)
4. Mindfulness of Objects of Mind (Dhammas)
- Description in the Buddhist dictionary of ‘The 4 Foundations of Mindfulness’:
“The only way that leads to the attainment of purity, to the overcoming of sorry, to the end of pain and grief, to the entering of the right path and to the realisation of Nibbana / Enlightenment”
- What can be done to release the mind from being caught up, caught out, caught into the misperception, misdirection and misunderstanding that creates wrong view and stress and suffering for us.
- How ‘The 4 Foundations of Mindfulness’ can develop the mental factors of calm (samatha), clarity (sampajanna), concentration (samadhi) and insight (vipassana)
- Understanding thoughts and feelings and how they interact
- How ‘The 4 Foundations of Mindfulness’ can be used to relate to and free yourself from anxiety and depression
- The story of the Prince being locked in the stone tower. How mindfulness can be used to bring awareness to and free you from your stress and issues.
- How to work towards healthy mind states
- Understanding the mind body complex