Wisdom Talks 7 – The 4 Sources of Stress and Suffering
In this episode of Wisdom Talks John Barter provides us with an appreciation of ‘The 4 Sources of Stress and Suffering’ in the context of ‘The 4 Noble Truths’, the central teaching of the Buddha. John has retranslated and re-ordered this wisdom teaching of the Buddha.
In this Episode:
- The four foundations of why there is stress, angst, unease, pain and suffering for people
(The First Truth – That dissatisfaction and suffering exists)
- Explanation of The 4 Sources of Stress and Suffering
(The Second Truth – There is a cause to dissatisfaction and suffering)1. ‘Not getting what we want’ is a source of stress and suffering
2. ‘Losing what we like and love’ is a source of stress and suffering
3. ‘Having to be with that which is unpleasant’ is a source of stress and suffering
4. ‘The mind and body (the five focuses of the grasping mind) is a source of stress and suffering
- Ways to be freed from stress and suffering (The Third Truth)
- How illness can give us time out to reflect upon things. How John’s forced break and timeout was used for this.
- What is sense based consciousness
- Understanding the term “Samvaga”