Wisdom Talks 16 – The 4 Pairs of the Ways of the World
In this episode of Wisdom Talks John Barter explains how the world runs on and is fuelled by 8 conditions, namely: Gain and Loss, Happiness and Misery, Praise and Blame, Fame and Non Fame. These 4 pairs of worldly conditions are termed by the Buddha as the Loka-Dhamma.
In this Episode
- Reflection on the 4 Pairs of Worldly Conditions (The 4 Polarities)
- Gain and Loss
- Praise and Blame
- Happiness and Misery
- Fame and Non Fame
- No matter how much effort we put into having, getting, gaining, holding, being, becoming, chances are that is going to change and be lost at some time.
- If we are only seeking, wanting and holding onto the positive it becomes a source of stress and suffering when the negative side happens as well.
- The motivation for most human beings is the seeking of happiness. The problem is that the happiness we seek is not sustainable.
- If we are clinging and holding onto just the happiness side of things then great disappointment and great distress occurs because we are wanting and expecting it always to be nice and that we should feel happy.
- Fame is fragile and doesn’t last. On the other side of someone’s fame is someone’s non fame. Someone has to loose.
- It’s about not being identified with these worldly conditions, and knowing that these conditions will change. Not despairing when the positive side of things aren’t there.
- Be careful not to become attached to and hold onto the positive side because the negative side will be there as well. The degree of attachment will determine what degree of stress, suffering and disappointment is experienced.
- Reflect on what one of these 4 we get caught into and seek out.